The JDA is an agency of the City of Johannesburg which stimulates and supports area based economic development initiatives throughout the Johannesburg metropolitan area in support of Joburg 2040. As development manager of these initiatives, JDA coordinates and manages capital investment and other programmes involving both public and private sector stakeholders. The following position is available for an achievement-oriented individual with initiative and a commitment to give substance to this vision.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To formulate development and strategic project plans and facilitate development implementation, in support of the City of Johannesburg’s development objectives and strategies (particularly those outlined in the Growth and Development Strategy and the Integrated Development Plan).
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Conceptualize and prepare projects for implementation in consultation with line manager and Executive Manager.
- Support the development of new projects and raising of new funds for the JDA, by exploring opportunities with stakeholders for JDA involvement in new projects (i.e. Housing, Social Development, and Transport)
- Review and refine the JDA planning methodology to ensure that best practices are identified and applied i.e. place making, testing methods.
- Conduct an annual review on standard operating procedures / manual to align to best practices.
- Formulate development and project plans for implementation and clearly define project cycle and results chain (outputs/ outcomes/ impact/ interventions); this includes: concept development, pre-feasibility studies, and sectoral studies.
- Assess new or altered needs, challenges and opportunities and to facilitate the incorporation into current projects and policies. i.e. lessons learnt for incorporation into the project manual.
- Prepare reports and presentations for the purpose of seeking approval for development plan proposals and making a case for funding of those proposals.
- Brief development managers and professional teams on strategic planning and development facilitation outcomes.
- Liaise with Marketing & Communications to provide information on ongoing and /or completed
- Identify and initiate projects required to raise the profiles of key strategic areas within the city in the Council’s future spatial plans and capital budgets i.e. development pipeline of projects.
- Identify and engage with internal and external stakeholders to co-create solutions with in a particular area.
- Facilitate the establishment of steering committees for the implementation of approved projects. This is achieved by meeting with key groups to work on solutions around key projects or areas, and the establishment of urban management/ operational plans or initiatives to ensure the sustainability of JDA projects. •Facilitate the flow of information between internal and
external stakeholders to the JDA and City.
- Facilitate and comment on development applications.
- Assist where required with the programming and activation of development plans and strategies, by carrying out testing of plans developed and marketing and hosting of place making events.
- Secure timeous council approvals, where required.
- Facilitate and assist with the preparation of land parcels where required for approved development projects.
- Facilitate the unlocking of development blockages that may occur from time to time and which may have a negative impact on the successful completion of a project, to
ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget.
Development of Spatial Plans:
- Coordinate the production of neighborhood or precinct level plans (in the form of urban development frameworks and capital investment plans) for future development areas for
- Write briefs for professional teams.
- Adhere to SCM procedures in obtaining service providers, and manage contracts and projects to deliver the required plans.
- Participate in public and stakeholder meetings to finalize plans.
- Review and update existing neighborhood or precinct level plans to assess relevance and the extent to which the development outcomes have been achieved by the City of Johannesburg and the JDA.
- Formulate clear implementation frameworks or project plans for submission to the Development Committee.
- Apply a project readiness filter to provide guidance to the City to implement projects and on which projects to prioritize.
Stakeholder Relations Support:
- Identify internal and external stakeholders to co-create solutions, mapping stakeholders to identify different interests.
- Develop a stakeholder plan and monitor implementation therein for precinct-based planning and development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in relevant built environment field (i.e. Urban Planning, Development Planning or Property
Economics) or related NQF Level 7
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in Urban Planning
- Knowledge of Planning and Development processes, Co-production/ Stakeholder Engagement, Construction industry, Land Use Management, Geographic Information Systems, Local Government legal and process framework and spatial planning policies
- SACPLAN Professional Registration would be advantageous.
Please email a detailed CV in MS Word format to: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: 21 NOVEMBER 2021
These are permanent employment contracts. JDA offers a market-related salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Correspondence will be with short-listed candidates only. Should you not hear from us within 30 days of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Johannesburg Development Agency is an equal opportunity employer and position will be filled in line with its EE targets.