Johannesburg Development Agency (JDA)
For immediate release
Westbury Development Renewal Precinct – Non Motorised Transport (NMT) project Phase 4 is underway. The Johannesburg Development agency on behalf of the City of Johannesburg is implementing this project, which is currently under construction by GPH Construction Pty Ltd. The project commenced in July 2017 and is expected to be completed by mid April 2018.
The Westbury Development Renewal Precinct project is part of the Empire Perth Corridor. The main objective is to promote pedestrian mobility and connectivity in particular connecting the Westbury community to the Rea Vaya trunk route from Empire road.
The key elements of the project entail the roads upgrade, existing services upgrade, sidewalks upgrade, upgrading of an existing public park and upgrading of City owned residential flats.
The JDA’s main focus is to create quality public environments, which include capital works to strengthen pedestrian connections, upgrade recreational facilities, development of public transport priority routes, linking to the BRT stations and provide safe areas for pedestrians and informal traders, say JDA CEO, Christo Botes.
Non motorised project will improve the following in the Westbury Precinct:
- Improve sidewalks, crosswalks, paths, bicycle lanes and networks.
- Public bicycle systems (automated bicycle rental systems designed to provide efficient mobility for short, utilitarian urban trips).
- Develop pedestrian oriented land use and building design.
- Increase road and path connectivity, with special non motorised shortcuts
- Traffic calming, streetscape improvements, traffic speed reductions, vehicle restrictions and road space reallocation (see ‘traffic management‘).
- Safety education, law enforcement and encouragement programs.
- Address security concerns of pedestrians and cyclists.
- Congestion pricing
- Vehicle parking policies
- Fuel taxes
The cost for the construction of the NMT project is R35 million and has employed 68 local labourers and 4 SMMEs to date.
Johannesburg Development Agency