Purpose of the position: To ensure that the identification, conceptualization and development of projects are done in line with the City of Joburg, National and Provincial socio-spatial development objectives, and with the JDA’s, vision and mandate. To identify a pipeline of project opportunities for the JDA by identifying areas of need with client departments, private sector and communities.
- Strategically identify new JDA projects for implementation. Lead the development of new projects that could yield future revenue for the JDA.
- Review and refine the JDA planning methodology to ensure that best practices are identified and applied.
- Assess the spatial, social, economic and urban management impact of JDA interventions (Impact Evaluation)
- Develop project concept, pre-feasibility and cost benefit analyses of potential projects, through planning processes.
Areas Based Development Planning:
- Coordinate the production of neighbourhood or precinct level plans (in the form of urban development frameworks and capital investment plans) for future development areas for the JDA.
- Develop an understanding of the social and space-economy in Johannesburg within the Gauteng City Region (including population trends, geography, land markets, and transport and mobility)
- Commission research to produce knowledge on JDA development areas and urban development practices.
- Host and/or participate in industry learning events that discusses research and new practices relating to the social and space economy.
- Compile reports on population trends, geography, land markets, and transport and mobility.
Urban Design Critique/Review:
- Ensure that development concepts adhere to urban design strategies, principles, policies and guidelines by critically analysing development design concepts produced by professional teams to check proposed designs are delivering the best possible public space outcomes within time and budget.
- Oversee the translation of these design concepts into the practical implementation phase.
Stakeholder Relations Support:
- Develop an understanding of key stakeholders and development partners including their needs and challenges.
- Advise line management on strategic, targeted and responsive engagement activities.
- Identify support for the development of key catalytic projects. This may include property owners and developers and project funders.
- Conduct stakeholder risk analysis, identifying potential conflict areas and mitigate risks.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelors Degree in relevant built environment field (i.e. Urban and Regional Planning or Development Planning or related NQF Level 7.
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in Urban development projects within public sector, private sector, civil society organisations or research bodies.
- Knowledge of Urban planning processes, Urban design and placemaking policy, Precinct redevelopment processes, legal framework pertaining to urban planning, project management.
- SACPLAN Professional Registration would be advantageous.
Please email a detailed CV in MS Word format to: email@example.com
Closing date: 13 August 2021.
This is a permanent employment contract. JDA offers a market-related salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Correspondence will be with short-listed candidates only. Should you not hear from us within 30 days of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Johannesburg Development Agency is an equal opportunity employer and position will be filled in line with its EE targets.