The Department of Development Planning: City Transformation (DP), through the Johannesburg Development Agency (JDA), have appointed a specialist team comprising of Urban Designers, Strategic Spatial Planners, and, Community Participation Consultants (CPC) for the Review of the Newtown Urban Development Framework (UDF). The need for such a review stems from the outdatedness of existing Spatial Policies and the changing character and role of Newtown in relation to the Inner City as a whole.
An Urban Development Framework consists of a number of sections / chapters that each require significant consultation. These sections / chapters are therefore regarded as essential project milestones leading up to the final document that would become the policy for the area.
Similar to previous Spatial Framework Formulation processes, this review seeks to ensure sufficient and meaningful stakeholder engagement and therefore your inputs and comments on the Draft Status Quo Document are herewith kindly requested.
Document Access & Availability
- Electronic Downloads:
The full draft Status Quo can be viewed and downloaded from the following publically accessible link:
- Physical Electronic Copy Collection:
An electronic version of the above document can be obtained from Reception at the offices of Development Planning: City Transformation at the following address:
- 10th Floor, Metro Centre, 158 Civic Boulevard, Braamfontein.
- Business Hours: 8am – 4pm daily.
- NOTE: Please bring along a flashdisk to store a copy of the document.
- Physical Inspection
A physical copy of the report can be inspected during office hours (8am – 4pm daily from the 28th of September 2018) at the following venues:
- Development Planning: 10th Floor, Metro Centre, 158 Civic Boulevard, Braamfontein.
- Johannesburg Development Agency: 3 Helen Joseph St, Newtown.
- Museum Africa: 121 Lilian Ngoyi St, Newtown.
Written Comments Submission
All comments and inputs are to be submitted in written format and sent to the following email address:
Verbal Comments Submission & Public Participation
Given challenges to access to emails, numerous engagement sessions will be hosted to allow for verbal comment submission. Dates, times and venues are to be communicated shortly.
The final date for submission of comments are 9 November at 5pm. Please ensure that all comments and inputs are submitted within this period.
Future Dates for Comments & Input
As per the introduction, this call for comments pertain specifically to the Draft Status Quo Report. Future dates for commenting and public participation will be announced as per the project progress.
Further Enquiries and Clarification
For further enquiries & clarification, kindly contact any of the persons below:
- Stefan van Niekerk (Development Planning)
email@example.com / 011 407 6894
- Lemohang Cindi (Development Planning)
firstname.lastname@example.org / 011 407 6963
- Abigail Godsell (Development Planning)
email@example.com / 011 407 6599
- Nikki Pingo (Johannesburg Development Agency)
firstname.lastname@example.org / 011 668 7800
- Patrick Maluleke (Community Participation Consultant)
email@example.com / 011 333 0559
- Ilhaam Tayob / Althea Peacock (Project Lead)
Johannesburg Development Agency